Početna

 Kontakt

 Studomat

 English

  



HISTORY

A Brief History of the Faculty of Maritime Studies

Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries

   

1866

The earliest record of the Faculty of Maritime Studies.

It is founded as the Austro-Hungarian Naval Academy, and remains in the premises of the city hospital till 1914.

1889

The Academy grows into the Imperial and Royal Naval Academy (Marine Akademie).

 

At the outbreak of the First World War the Academy is closed and moved from Rijeka to Vienna.

 

Along with others less acclaimed graduates, Croatian Admiral Maximilian Njegovan (1858-1930), and one of the most famous officers of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, and the first commander of the new State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs navy, Admiral Janko pl. Vuković – Podkapelski (1871-1918) also study at the Academy.

1914

The Academy ceases its educational activities and is turned into a field hospital.

1918

After the dismemberment of the Empire, the field hospital grows into the principal city hospital.

1949

A decree issued by the Government of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia on 4th April secures the continuity of maritime education and training. The College of Maritime Studies is founded.

 

In following years, the now founded College of Maritime Studies develops into the Faculty of Maritime Studies, one of the world's leading maritime education and training institutions.

   

The Faculty After 1949

   

1978

Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport is founded.

1998

Rijeka College of Maritime Studies and the University Department of Maritime Studies, University of Rijeka are founded.

2001

The Minister of the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Republic of Croatia signs a Decision on the merge of Rijeka College of Maritime Studies and the University Department of Maritime Studies into the Faculty of Maritime Studies, University of Rijeka.